Alabama is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the United States. With sugar-white sand, clear emerald waters, and plenty of amenities, Alabama's beaches offer something for everyone. Here are some of the best beaches in Alabama that you must visit on your next trip.
Gulf Shores is one of the most popular beaches in Alabama located along the Gulf of Mexico. Stretching for 32 miles, this beach is famous for its soft white sand and calm emerald green waters.
Some of the top things to do in Gulf Shores include:
- Relaxing on the beach and swimming in the ocean
- Playing beach volleyball
- Riding waves on a boogie board
- Building sandcastles
- Dolphin cruises
- Deep sea fishing
- Golfing at one of the 15 golf courses
The beach has all kinds of amenities like public access points, restrooms, showers, restaurants, and shopping centers. You can also go kayaking through the Intracoastal Waterway.
Don't forget to visit the Gulf State Park Pier which extends out 1,540 feet into the Gulf of Mexico. You can fish, sightsee, or walk to the end of the pier.
Top places to stay in Gulf Shores
- Hampton Inn & Suites - beachfront with outstanding service
- Island House Hotel - adults only with full kitchens
- Phoenix All Suites Hotel - great for families with kids
Orange Beach is another popular beach town located along the Gulf of Mexico, just east of Gulf Shores. With beautiful powdery white sand and clear emerald water, Orange Beach spans over 5 miles.
Some top things to do here:
- Charter a fishing boat trip to catch Red Snapper, Cobia, and Flounder
- Paddleboard through Oyster Bay and Wolf Bay
- Play a round of golf on one of the championship courses
- Explore Hugh S. Branyon Backcountry Trail by foot or bike
- Visit the Orange Beach Indian and Sea Museum
- Relax on the beach and search for seashells
The beach has public access points, restrooms, showers, and various beachside restaurants. You can also go on dolphin cruises, take surf lessons, or go parasailing.
Best places to stay in Orange Beach
- Holiday Inn Express - spacious rooms with free breakfast
- Hampton Inn & Suites - directly on the beach with two pools
- Perdido Beach Resort - full-service resort with multiple dining options
Dauphin Island is a quaint 14-mile long barrier island south of Mobile Bay. With gorgeous white sand beaches, this island is the perfect spot to relax and enjoy a slower pace of life.
Top things to do on Dauphin Island:
- Visit the Dauphin Island Bird Sanctuaries and go birdwatching
- Charter a fishing boat and try catching Speckled Trout, Redfish, and Flounder
- Collect seashells and sand dollars along the shore
- Relax on the beach and go swimming in the calm waters
- Rent a bike and explore the island trails
- Discover Fort Gaines, an historic fort active during the Civil War
The beach has public access points, bathrooms, changing areas, and concessions. You can also camp right on the beach if you want.
Best places to stay on Dauphin Island
- Dauphin Island Campground - beachfront RV sites and cottages
- Dauphin Island Condos - spacious condos with full kitchens
- Pelican Nest RV Park - RV sites right on the beach
Gulf State Park Beach
Located in Gulf Shores, the beach at Gulf State Park offers over 6 miles of gorgeous white sand beach along the Gulf of Mexico.
Top activities at Gulf State Park Beach include:
- Swimming and floating in the turquoise waters
- Building large sandcastles along the wide beach
- Fishing from the shore or long fishing pier
- Playing disc golf on the course near the beach
- Walking nature trails through wetlands and marshes
- Spotting birds like herons, ospreys, and pelicans
The beach has bathroom facilities, showers, snack bars, beach supply stores, and equipment rentals. You can also camp right on the beach itself.
Where to stay at Gulf State Park
- Gulf State Park Campground - RV sites and cottages near the beach
- Lodge at Gulf State Park - upscale lodge with spa and restaurants
- Cabins at Gulf State Park - modern cabins nestled in the woods
Fort Morgan State Historic Site Beach
Located at the mouth of Mobile Bay, this white sand beach offers swimming, fishing, and exploring historic Fort Morgan. The beach has over 5 miles of coastline to explore.
Top things to do at Fort Morgan beach:
- Tour the historic Fort Morgan which defended Mobile Bay in the 1800s
- Wade and swim in the calm, shallow waters along the shore
- Go fishing from the long fishing pier
- Search for shark teeth andSeashells along the beach
- Picnic under the trees at the beach pavilions
- Take a nature trail and look for migratory birds
The beach has bathroom facilities, picnic areas with grills, an RV park, and a campground. You can also visit the Fort Morgan museum.
Where to stay near Fort Morgan beach
- Fort Morgan State Park improved campground - RV and tent sites
- Gulf Breeze RV Resort - RV sites near the beach
- Holiday Inn Express - nice hotel in Gulf Shores, 10 min from beach
FAQs about Beaches in Alabama
What are the best beaches in Alabama for families?
Some of the most family-friendly beaches in Alabama include Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Gulf State Park Beach, and Dauphin Island. These beaches offer calm shallow waters perfect for children, wide beaches for playing, concessions, amenities, and plenty of kid-friendly activities like building sandcastles, dolphin cruises, fishing trips, and swimming.
What is the most beautiful beach in Alabama?
Many consider Orange Beach to be one of the most beautiful beaches in Alabama. It has stunning white powdery sand, crystal clear emerald green waters, and miles of pristine shoreline. The soft sand and gentle waves create a gorgeous beach scene.
What is the closest beach to Birmingham, AL?
The closest beach to Birmingham, AL is Gulf Shores, located about 5 hours south of the city. Here you'll find 32 miles of beautiful white sand beach along the Gulf of Mexico.
What is the closest beach to Huntsville, AL?
The closest beach to Huntsville, AL is also Gulf Shores, approximately 4.5 hours south of the city. The drive passes through Birmingham on the way to the soft sandy shoreline.
What is the closest beach to Montgomery, AL?
From Montgomery, AL, the closest beach is again Gulf Shores, located around 3.5 hours south of the city. The drive passes through Mobile on the way to sugar-white sand beach towns of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach.
With its beautiful white sand beaches, gentle emerald waters, abundance of seashells, and sunny weather, Alabama has some of the best beaches in the United States. From busy tourist spots like Gulf Shores to remote islands like Dauphin, you'll find the perfect beach to suit your style. Build sandcastles, try beach fishing, explore historic forts, or just relax on these amazing Alabama shorelines.