Thailand is a country known for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and lush tropical landscapes. With over 1,500 islands to choose from, there is a beach in Thailand to suit every taste, from secluded coves to lively party hotspots.
Whether you are looking for a relaxing beach vacation with your family, a romantic getaway with your partner, or an adrenaline-fueled adventure, you are sure to find the perfect beach in Thailand. Here is a guide to some of the best beaches in Thailand:
Koh Phi Phi
Koh Phi Phi is a group of six islands in the Andaman Sea, known for their dramatic limestone cliffs, pristine beaches, and turquoise waters. The most popular beach on Koh Phi Phi is Maya Bay, which was made famous by the movie The Beach. However, Maya Bay is now closed to tourists due to environmental concerns.
Other popular beaches on Koh Phi Phi include:
Loh Dalum Beach
This beach is located on the main island of Koh Phi Phi Don and is known for its soft white sand and clear blue waters.
- Loh Dalam Beach has a beautiful crescent shape that offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- The beach is lined with lush tropical foliage and the waters are calm and shallow, making it ideal for swimming and snorkeling.
- There are no major resorts on Loh Dalam Beach, giving it a quiet and secluded atmosphere despite its popularity.
This beach is the main backpacker hub on Koh Phi Phi and is known for its lively nightlife and affordable accommodation.
- Tonsai Beach offers a lively party atmosphere with beach bars that stay open late into the night.
- The beach has easy access to accommodation, restaurants, and shops all in walking distance.
- Water sports equipment rentals and tours can be easily arranged right on Tonsai Beach.
Popular Activities on Tonsai Beach:
- Fire shows at night
- Snorkeling and diving trips
- Rock climbing on the limestone cliffs
- Hiking to viewpoints
Koh Lanta is a large island in the Andaman Sea, known for its relaxed atmosphere, beautiful beaches, and diverse landscapes. The island is divided into two parts: Koh Lanta Yai (the main island) and Koh Lanta Noi (the smaller island).
Some of the best beaches on Koh Lanta include:
Klong Dao Beach
This beach is located on the west coast of Koh Lanta Yai and is known for its long stretch of white sand and clear blue waters.
- Klong Dao Beach has soft, powdery sand and calm, shallow water perfect for swimming.
- The beach offers stunning sunset views over the Andaman Sea in the evenings.
- There is a variety of restaurants and beach bars along the shore to enjoy.
This beach is located on the west coast of Koh Lanta Yai and is known for its relaxed atmosphere and beautiful sunsets.
- Long Beach has a chilled-out vibe and attracts more mature travelers looking to relax.
- The beach is lined with palm trees that offer shade and colorful wooden resorts and beach bars.
- Activities like Thai massage, yoga classes, and beach volleyball can be found along the sand.
Koh Samui is the largest island in the Gulf of Thailand and is known for its diverse attractions, including beautiful beaches, lush rainforests, and vibrant nightlife.
Some of the best beaches on Koh Samui include:
This beach is the most popular beach on Koh Samui and is known for its lively atmosphere, wide range of restaurants and bars, and water sports activities.
- Chaweng Beach has fine white sand and clear blue waters perfect for swimming.
- The beach offers a vibrant party scene with beach clubs, bars, and live music that stays open late.
- All kinds of water sports and boat trips can be booked right on Chaweng Beach.
This beach is located on the south coast of Koh Samui and is known for its relaxed atmosphere, beautiful sunsets, and family-friendly activities.
- Lamai Beach has a laidback vibe perfect for families and couples looking to relax.
- There are fewer crowds yet still plenty of amenities like spas, shops, and restaurants to enjoy.
- The beach offers shallow waters perfect for kids to swim and play safely.
Koh Tao is a small island in the Gulf of Thailand, known for its world-class diving and snorkeling. The island is also a popular destination for backpackers and budget travelers.
Some of the best beaches on Koh Tao include:
This beach is the main tourist hub on Koh Tao and is known for its lively atmosphere, wide range of restaurants and bars, and water sports activities.
- Sairee Beach has fine white sand and calm turquoise waters perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
- The beach offers a vibrant backpacker scene with beach parties, fire shows, and beach bars.
- Diving schools and equipment rental shops line the shores for easy access to rentals.
Mae Haad Beach
This beach is located on the northeast coast of Koh Tao and is known for its relaxed atmosphere, beautiful beaches, and affordable accommodation.
- Mae Haad Beach has a quieter vibe away from the main tourist area.
- There is a charming fishing village located right on the beach with small shops and local restaurants.
- The beach offers beautiful views of the bay, jungle scenery, and stunning sunrises.
Other beaches to consider
In addition to the beaches listed above, here are a few other beaches in Thailand worth considering:
This beach is located in Krabi province and is known for its dramatic limestone cliffs, pristine beaches, and turquoise waters.
- Railay Beach can only be reached by boat due to the limestone cliffs cutting it off from the mainland. This adds to its remote and pristine vibe.
- The beach has powdery white sand and clear turquoise waters perfect for swimming and kayaking.
- Rock climbing the dramatic limestone cliffs that loom over Railay Beach is a popular activity.
Kata Noi Beach
This beach is located on Phuket island and is known for its secluded atmosphere, beautiful beaches, and crystal-clear waters.
- Kata Noi Beach is more secluded than the popular Kata Beach nearby, meaning fewer crowds.
- The beach has soft golden sand and calm, clear waters perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
- Scenic palm trees provide shade and there are several small beachfront restaurants to enjoy.
This beach is located on Koh Lipe island and is known for its stunning sunsets, white sand beaches, and clear turquoise waters.
- Sunset Beach is considered by many to have the best beach sunset views in all of Thailand.
- The beach has fine, white sand like powder and shallow emerald waters ideal for swimming.
- There are beach bars and restaurants right on the sand to enjoy a cocktail as the sun goes down.
With its stunning islands and beaches, Thailand offers endless options for an idyllic beach getaway. From lively party beaches to secluded, peaceful stretches of sand, Thailand has a beach for every style of traveler. The clear blue waters, powdery sand, swaying palms, and beautiful sunsets await you. Whether you seek adventure, relaxation, culture or nightlife, you're sure to find your paradise on one of Thailand's spectacular beaches.